Nets Beat Grizzlies, 118-115


The Nets dodged a loss despite a less than par performance in beating the tanking Memphis Grizzlies, 118-115 last night at the Barclays Center.

It wasn’t pretty for the Nets (23-48), but the win did give them their first winning streak since January, but they will take it.   

“It’s a good feeling. No matter when it comes in the season, two wins to build on is a great feeling,” said starting point guard D’Angelo Russell, who finished with 14 points and seven assists.

The Nets came out a blazing, scoring 32 first quarter points shooting 60 percent from the field. However, Brooklyn was as bad at defense as they were hot offensively, the worst offensive team in the league to score 31-points in the opening quarter.

Adding to their defensive woes was their ball control, or lack thereof. With a combined total of 22 turnovers through four quarters it seemed like the Nets were looking to tank as well, but they were just playing a sloppy brand of basketball.

But despite their struggles, Brooklyn still got the win, and along with it some strong shooting performances.

Second year guard Caris LeVert and Allen Crabbe–who missed two consecutive games with flu-like symptoms–led the way with 22 points each. Demarre Carroll added 18 points, while Rondae Hollis–Jefferson finished with 16 points and 12 boards.

Even with their balanced scoring, the Nets nearly had the game slip away in the third quarter after the Grizzlies went on a 23-8 run behind Andrew Harrison who scored seven of his 19 points during that stretch. Down 94-87 entering the fourth quarter Brooklyn found their stride going on a 7-0 run to tie the game.

But Memphis did not make it easy.

With The grizzlies up 101-100, the Nets went on a 9-0 scoring tear that started with a  Jarrett Allen layup and free throws, Crabbe three-pointer and LeVert layup to give them a 109-101 lead that would eventually stick. Memphis managed to stay in the game, and before Brooklyn could take their victory lap, fans were given a March Madness like scare after a JaMychal Green bucket that cut the lead to 117-115.

With 12.6 second left in the game Spencer Dinwiddie found himself at the line with a chance to extend the lead by 4, but he missed the first free throw giving the Grizzlies a chance to tie the game and take it to overtime.

Unfortunately for them, Harrison missed the potential tying three-pointer.

“They (Memphis) played hard, they played hard. They were attacking the glass. Obviously a group that was hungry and they were attacking us and they were the more aggressive team for a fair amount of the game, and then I think in the fourth quarter we put a lot more resistance on and we became a lot more physical,” said Nets Coach Kenny Atkinson after the game.