Clinton, Trump Score Big Victories in State Primary

Add Clinton, Trump Easily Take New York (2)

In an unsurprising but exceedingly important New York State primary, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump picked up huge wins from their respective parties. Both have recently suffered from long strings of disappointments, with heavy losses in the most recent contests; with these victories, however, the two frontrunners are ever closer to securing their party’s nomination.

Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton

Clinton struck her biggest wins of the state in Brooklyn and Manhattan, where she received 174,000 and 177,000 votes respectively. In Brooklyn, she received 60 percent of the votes, whereas in Manhattan, she received 66 percent of the total votes.

In Brooklyn, both Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Clinton campaigned vigorously prior to the election, holding events in Brooklyn Heights, Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, Sunset Park, and Coney Island, among other neighborhoods. Brooklyn is the most populous county in New York, and contains the highest percentage of Democrat voters in the entire state.

Sanders, a Brooklyn native, did erode Clinton’s support from her more than considerable lead in the last month -but failed to make the raise close enough to regard it as a close loss.With 94 percent of the votes in, Clinton received 58 percent of the votes from the state, leaving Sanders with 42 percent. The delegates were allocated proportionally, with Clinton claiming 139, and Sanders claiming 108 of the state’s convention representatives.

“We started this race not far from here on Roosevelt Island,” Clinton said in her victory speech. “And tonight, a little less than a year later, the race for the Democratic nomination is in the homestretch and victory is in sight.”
Donald Trump

In the Republican race, however, the delegate allocation is a completely different story. With 95 percent of the Republican vote in, Trump has secured 89 of the 95 total delegates, whereas Cruz has only been awarded 3. The New York City native and real estate mogul receive majority support in every single county in the state except one -Manhattan. In Manhattan, the underdog -John Kasich -received the most votes there, with 45 percent  of the votes to Trump’s 42. In Brooklyn, Trump thrived, with 66 percent of the total electorate.

“We don’t have much of a race anymore. Sen. Cruz is just about mathematically eliminated,” Trump touted. “We’ve won another state. We have won millions of more votes than Sen. Cruz. Millions and millions more votes than Gov. Kasich. Nearly 300 delegates more than Sen. Cruz.”

Overall, the New York Primary has simultaneously solidified the establishment power of Clinton’s camp, all while affirming the rebel indignancy that so greatly fuels Trump’s long shot bid for the White House.